Friday, November 23, 2012

Shine like stars...

I've just finished eating turkey for 3 straight meals, and that can only mean one thing... The holidays have begun!  Thanksgiving has really got me to thinking a lot about family.  I kind of always think a lot about family... partly because ours is such a dynamic entity lately, and partly because we don't live near any of ours.  The holidays only intensify this thought process. 

Sometimes, I let my mind drift to my dreams for my family's future.  I imagine what my kids will be when they grow up.  I imagine where Tony and I will be.  I imagine holding my grand kids.  I imagine what I will look like as an old lady... But one image that always comes to my mind is the Milky Way.  I know that's a weird image to conjure up when you are day dreaming about family, but oh well.  I think it perfectly exemplifies what my ultimate hopes are. 

Philippians 2:14-16 says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing,  so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing." 

I have always prayed that my children would shine like stars - that they would be blameless and pure.  Of course, I want them to hold out the word of life... and a little less complaining and arguing would go along way, too.  But, what I think I love about this verse is the idea of them shining in the universe.  Go with me on this for a minute...

 I'm not very science minded, but this is my very elementary understanding of what super smart scientists have learned. We have these really cool pictures of our galaxy.  It appears to be a collection of stars spinning off of a very bright and very tight nucleus.  It's not spinning out of control, but it is ever expanding.  This giant and beautiful galaxy is a collection of bazillions (that is not an exact count) of stars.  Each one individual, each one having it's place, but each one connected to the center.

That is exactly how I see family.  It should have a very strong center, and as soon as each little star is added it should be set in motion to expand outward and shine God's Word as it goes.  As my biological kids get older I am seeing them expand their territory further away from my protective arms.  However scary this may be, it is a natural part of parenting.  My job is to raise them to be blameless and pure, so that as they head out into the universe and shine.  Now that God is adding extra little stars through fostering we are seeing our galaxy fill up.   Each child that comes into our home is given the opportunity to be filled with God's Word and then head back out into the world to bring God glory.

So, as I dream about the future, I imagine that one day our "stars" will reach far and wide.  They will no doubt be spread across the country and maybe even the world sharing God's truth and love.  My fervent prayer is that they will remain strongly connected to the center. To their parents.  To God.  I long for a full and bustling house at the holidays, one that roars with laughter and fun.  I want to make memories now that will draw them back year after year.  I want them to repeat funny stories, play games, and bring their kids home... I want to get Christmas cards from foster kids that have come and gone. I know I can't keep any of them under my roof forever, but I deeply desire for them to long for home... That is family to me.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment